Also in Edge Tips
- How to install a new theme in Microsoft Edge
- Use Vertical Tabs In Microsoft Edge
- 2 ways to stop using Microsoft Edge as the default PDF viewer in Windows 10
- How to Reset and Repair Microsoft Edge Browser
2 ways to stop using Microsoft Edge as the default PDF viewer in Windows 10 – On Windows 10, the Chromium version of Microsoft Edge is the new default web browsing experience, and it also acts as the system’s default PDF reader every time it is installed.
Stop using Microsoft Edge as the default PDF
Although the ability to view and edit PDF documents is a convenient feature, this experience provides limited functionality. However, if you like more powerful software (such as Adobe Acrobat Reader, Xodo or SumatraPDF), you can always change the Windows 10 settings to disable Microsoft Edge and set another application as the default every time you open such a file PDF reader. Format it on the computer.
Change default PDF reader using Settings
To disable Microsoft Edge as the default PDF reader on Windows 10, use the following steps:
- Open Settings.
- Click on Apps.
- Click on Default apps.
- Click the Choose default app by file type option.
- Click the current default app for the .pdf file format and select the app you want to make the new default.
Tip: You can also use the Set default by app option to change the default app to open PDF documents.
Once you complete the steps, PDF documents will open the application you specified, instead of Microsoft Edge.
Alternatively, you can use the context menu option to set another PDF reader as the default by following the steps below:
- Open File Explorer.
- Browse to the folder with a PDF document.
- Right-click the .pdf file.
- Select the Open with submenu and click the Choose another app option.
- Select the new default app to open PDF files.
Tip: If the application you want is not in the list, click the “More Apps” option. Or click “Find other apps on this PC” to find the app manually. In this case, you will need to select the .exe file for the PDF application.
- Check the Always use this app to open .pdf files option.
After completing these steps, Microsoft Edge will no longer open PDF files by default. Instead, the document will be opened using the application you specified.
Hope to help you !
More: Your Services.msc is not opening? Please refer to the article on How to Fix “Services.msc Not Opening” in Windows 10.